Handling confrontations is an art like dance. Here are some steps you can take to master the dance of communication:
- Never use the silent treatment.
- Never use lies to cover up short comings.
- Don’t get in-laws or friends involved right away.
- Don’t be subjective in making any conclusions.
- Never jump into conclusions, communicate and talk it over.
- Discuss what actually happened, don’t judge.
- Find out all the facts rather than start guessing at the motives.
- Learn to understand each other, not to defeat each other.
- Use future and present tense talking, not past tense.
- Concentrate on the major problem; don’t divide attention by mixing in other minor problems.
- First take care of the problems that hurt feelings in the relationship, and then take care of the problems arising from just differences in opinions.
- Use “I feel” statements; don’t use “you are” statements.